Sunday, June 29, 2014

What Laser Tag Taught Me About Living In Victory

I love laser tag.

There, I said it.

I LOVE LASER TAG.

It all started during my junior high days when I would go to Q-Zar with my friends. It was such a thrill to wander around in the dark, attempt to dodge the laser beams coming from my opponents' direction, and hear the crazy sound of re-loading my laser. I loved it all.... and I still do.

Thankfully, I am not the only one. My husband and his family enjoy it as well, so we made it a family tradition to play laser tag when we went to visit them in Washington. The place we play there, is seriously the best ever. It is huge. It has three levels. And it is awesome. 

Here's a picture of us playing laser tag a few years ago.
Although I love laser tag, I will say this -- I had no idea how to play strategically. I would usually just hide out by the re-loading station and not venture too far from my team's side. I mean, in my mind, I really thought I was trying, but I almost always had one of the lowest scores in the bunch.

About a month ago, I had the opportunity to play laser tag with some middle schoolers at an annual summer event. I went into the prep room, suited up, and decided I was going to try a different tactic: I was going to attack the opposing team's base as much as possible. I did end up getting tagged by other players a fair amount, but I didn't let it stop me. I just kept my focus on the other team's base. I tagged that station as many times as I possibly could before the game was over.

At the end of the game, I went to look at the scores and much to my surprise, I had won! Wait... what? I, Carly, had the highest score out of everyone who had played that round? I had to look at it a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing things! After I realized that I was truly seeing the scoreboard correctly, the realization sunk in that my new tactic had worked! Instead of hiding out, I decided to step up and be an offensive player. I came away victorious! I felt like throwing my hands in the air and fist pumping to this song.

When it comes to our spiritual lives, I am convinced that God wants us to fight strategically and experience victory. We are only able to experience true victory when we do not hide from the enemy. As I mentioned, for years, when I played laser tag, I stayed in my own territory, where I believed I was safest. I was trying to be a strong defensive player, but I wasn't playing offensively. I had missed that whole concept. 

In my spiritual life, I have had a tendency to do the same. As I wrote in my last blog post, I created a habit of hiding when fears arose and when I felt the attacks of the enemy. Yet, as I am learning to find my security in God, I realize that He calls us to be offensive and not to be afraid of the enemy. He wants us to go after what is ours. He wants us to re-claim the territory that the enemy has tried to take from us. With His help, we certainly can do this, for we are more than conquerors through Christ (Romans 8:37)! 

Last week, I came across this verse: "The LORD says to my lord: "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet" (Psalm 110:1). Jesus even quotes it later in Luke 20. The emphasis on this Scripture means that we need to take it seriously. Our enemies will be under our feet, but we have to abide in Christ and rely on His strength. This abiding isn't passive. It is very active. It is offensive. We must be diligent to be in His Word, and then we must be disciplined to believe His Word and apply it to our lives. We can use the promises of the Word of God to take back what the enemy has tried to take from us. We can reclaim our territory because we are standing firm on the promises of God. 

God is calling us to rise up. We can't hide while the enemy throws lies our way. Instead, we have to stand on the promises of God and take an offensive position. Our victory has already been won. We just have to make the choice (every day, every minute) to strategically walk forward in the victory that He has laid out for us. 

We have resurrection power because of Christ in us. Let's act like it. 
Let's be the bold and courageous people that He has called us to be.

- Carly






No comments:

Post a Comment