Monday, March 17, 2014

Bible Study in a Furniture Store... Yep, It Happened!

For about a month now, I have been meeting with some college gals on Saturdays to talk about life and Jesus over coffee. It has been such a blessing to journey together and thank God for all of the blessings He gives us.

We normally meet at our favorite local coffee shop, but a few weeks ago, we had to change our plans. We arrived at the coffee shop to find that there was no where for our large group to gather. I had actually woken up in the night wondering if this may happen. In the midst of that sleepy moment, I prayed and asked God to take care of it. In the midst of my praying, I thought about the furniture store across the street from the coffee shop. Hmmmm... what a funny idea. That's about all I thought before I quickly slipped back into dreamland. 

The next morning when we arrived at the coffee shop and found ourselves seat-less, I decided to go out on a limb and call the furniture store. I had been into the store before, as my parents perused the couch section, and I thought I remembered that they played Christian music in the showroom. I figured that just maybe they would allow us to come and hang out in their store.

I dialed the number on my phone and a friendly voice answered with a warm hello.

"Hi... uh... my name is Carly and I have a really weird request." 
((Way to go, Carly... what a great way to start the conversation...))
"Okay... Hi... what is it?"
"Well, I lead a Bible Study for a group of girls from the college... and we are across the street at the coffee shop and there is no where for our group to sit. It is so crowded in here."
Awkward silence ((Carly, keep talking... come on, spit it out...))
"So, I am wondering if we could come study in your store this morning?"
"Well, sure, come on over!"
"Would you mind if we bring over our coffee? We will totally clean up if we spill."
((I totes have a Tide To Go stick in my purse...))
"Oh sure. That's fine. We will see you in a minute."
Sigh of relief.

I gathered the girls and we marched like little ants, across the street to the furniture store. I went to the counter and was greeted by a nice woman with kind eyes. I thanked her for allowing us to come to the store and I mentioned that I had noticed that they played Christian music. She smiled and told me that they were Christians and that they were thrilled we were there that morning. She set us up in the showroom and as we got settled in to study, we all had huge smiles on our faces.

Who would have ever thought we'd be having Bible Study in a furniture store?! We were so tickled as we looked around and took in our study atmosphere. What an unexpected blessing. What a fun surprise.

God is so good to bring us what we need. He is a God full of fun surprises and blessings. It is exciting to journey with such a creative God. He loves to give good gifts and He fills us with joy as we go through our daily lives with Him. 

The Saturday that we had Bible Study in the furniture store will stick out in my mind for quite some time. God broke us out of our routine, showed us He will provide for us, and that He loves to surprise His kids with unexpected blessings. 

Are you ready to receive the unexpected from God today? 
I can't wait to see what God has in store! 
(Ha! That is an intentional pun... but I am totally leaving it now... get it: in store...Okay, I am done.)

- Carly






1 comment:

  1. Every day I visit a number of blog sites to see content, however this offers quality based content.The Design Gifts Store Auckland

    ReplyDelete