Saturday, May 4, 2013

What Are You Waiting For?

"Wait on the Lord. Be strong, take heart, and wait on the Lord." - Psalm 27:14 (NIV)

Are you waiting for something? Are you waiting for someone?
Are you waiting for a job opportunity? An open door? The end of a season? The start of something new?

I am a go, go, go person and I am constantly trying to learn how to be more patient! It is a fruit of the Spirit after all. Yet, I have come to understand that when God calls us to be patient and wait, He does not want us to sit still and twiddle our thumbs.

The Message version says Psalm 27:14 like this,
"Stay with God! Take heart. Don't quit. I'll say it again: Stay with God!" 

I think more discipline is required of us when we are in times of waiting. When things are going our way, it is easy to be thankful and praise the Lord. Yet, in times of waiting and wondering, it is vital that we "stay with God" and keep our eyes focused on Him. I think another way of saying "wait on the Lord" or "stay with God" is "Keep up with God!" Don't lose sight of what God is doing. God wants us to keep up with Him and stick with Him even when the very thing for which we are waiting is unclear. Waiting requires thanksgiving and hopefulness!

 In Psalm 27:14, God has to remind us TWICE to wait on Him. Sometimes I need to be reminded of something more than once, so this particular verse hits home with me! He says, "Wait on me... Be strong, take heart (be hopeful)... and remember, wait on me!"

John Ortberg says:
"What God does in us while we wait is as important as what it is we are waiting for."

What is it that you are waiting for?
What does God want to do in you while you are waiting?

Be hopeful. Don't give up on your dreams and calling. 
God is faithful. God is moving. 
Allow God to move in you even when you feel as though you are standing still. 

- Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment