Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Forbidden Fruit

How often do we try to take something that is not our own from God? How often does the desire for knowledge and control drive us to try to take matters in our own hands?

I think this was the case with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. The famous forbidden fruit that they ate was driven by a desire to take matters into their own hands, to understand their circumstances and possess knowledge beyond their own understanding.

As a child, I remember hearing the story of the Fall, and wondering how Adam and Eve could have done such a thing? How could they be so selfish to ruin the perfect Garden of Eden livin' for us all?

However, as I read Genesis chapter 3 this week, I had a reality check. I realized that I saw myself in Adam and Eve.

I realized that I too, am often tempted by the forbidden fruit in my own life. I desire to control my life: my present and future. I find myself wanting to know more, so I analyze countless situations. Yet, like Adam and Eve, I am taking away what is not intended to be mine. I will never attain God's knowledge and wisdom, yet I spin in endless circles and become dizzy trying to understand life and my purpose. After attempting to maintain control, I become exhausted and in turn, aware of my need for God's knowledge and wisdom. I often end up feeling unequipped and "naked," like Adam and Eve.

Yet, that is when God says,
"Leave it to me. You aren't meant to carry this burden. The fruit is forbidden for a reason."

This week, I am working on loosening my grip on control. I will be still and know that He is God.

-Carly


No comments:

Post a Comment